We have all experienced a little sunburn in our lives. Just as sun damages the skin, the UVA and UVB rays can damage the hair too. Exposure to sun, chlorine and salt can oxidize haircolor and cause severe dryness and breakage. Join AVEDA artist, Amber S. and dive into overexposure: how it happens & tools and techniques for great summer hair.
How Overexposure Happens
SUN - Sun exposure occurs when the heat lifts the cuticle exposing our gorgeous color to an oxidation reaction. Damaging rays (UVA and UVB) are powerful and can break down the molecular structure of the hair cuticle and skin.
SALT - Salt is osmotic in nature. It dries out anything it encounters... and for your hair that means dry, brittle, dull, and unruly. Dehydrated hair is prone to breakage.
CHLORINE- The chemical compounds in chlorine binds and absorbs into cuticles. The results are dryness, breakage, and in some cases green hair.
6 Quick Fixes for
1. HAIR SUNSCREEN- Protect your gorgeous tresses with a lightweight UV protection mist. Aveda’s Sun Care protective Veil is water resistant and protects hair from UV Rays.
2. STYLE YOUR WET HAIR- Start your fun in the sun with wet hair. Add your favorite Aveda Conditioner in a spray bottle, or use Aveda’s Shampure Dry Conditioner to lock in moisture. If the hair is already wet it is less prone to absorb salt and chlorine.
3. AMP UP THE HAIR TREATMENTS- Pump up the Hair Treatments- sun parched hair and skin loves TLC. Treat your summer hair to nourishing masques or ask about a Botanical Therapy Treatment at your next Aveda Salon visit.
4. TRY A BRAID- Hide your tresses with a stylish braid. It’s a great idea for hair that is prone to tangles and knots. Use Aveda Sun Veil UV Protective Spray, and add Smooth Infusion Nourishing cream for moisture and protection.
5. LET'S BE NICE- Blonde, curls, and fine hair are prone to tangles when wet. Take your time and be gentle when detangling. Add a detangler like Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, or be Aveda Curly Detangling Conditioner to your regimen for extra slip.
6. ACCESSORIES- Your hair and your skin will love you for covering up. Wearing a nice summer hat or scarf is a great look that helps to avoid overexposure, and it looks adorably chic.