Thinning hair is no fun...Read a solution to your thinning hair here.
We have all experienced a little sunburn in our lives. Just as sun damages the skin, the UVA and UVB rays can damage the hair too. Exposure to sun, chlorine and salt can oxidize haircolor and cause severe dryness and breakage. Join AVEDA artist, Amber S. and dive into overexposure: how it happens & tools and techniques for great summer hair.
How Overexposure Happens
SUN - Sun exposure occurs when the heat lifts the cuticle exposing our gorgeous color to an oxidation reaction. Damaging rays (UVA and UVB) are powerful and can break down the molecular structure of the hair cuticle and skin.
SALT - Salt is osmotic in nature. It dries out anything it encounters... and for your hair that means dry, brittle, dull, and unruly. Dehydrated hair is prone to breakage.
CHLORINE- The chemical compounds in chlorine binds and absorbs into cuticles. The results are dryness, breakage, and in some cases green hair.
6 Quick Fixes for
1. HAIR SUNSCREEN- Protect your gorgeous tresses with a lightweight UV protection mist. Aveda’s Sun Care protective Veil is water resistant and protects hair from UV Rays.
2. STYLE YOUR WET HAIR- Start your fun in the sun with wet hair. Add your favorite Aveda Conditioner in a spray bottle, or use Aveda’s Shampure Dry Conditioner to lock in moisture. If the hair is already wet it is less prone to absorb salt and chlorine.
3. AMP UP THE HAIR TREATMENTS- Pump up the Hair Treatments- sun parched hair and skin loves TLC. Treat your summer hair to nourishing masques or ask about a Botanical Therapy Treatment at your next Aveda Salon visit.
4. TRY A BRAID- Hide your tresses with a stylish braid. It’s a great idea for hair that is prone to tangles and knots. Use Aveda Sun Veil UV Protective Spray, and add Smooth Infusion Nourishing cream for moisture and protection.
5. LET'S BE NICE- Blonde, curls, and fine hair are prone to tangles when wet. Take your time and be gentle when detangling. Add a detangler like Aveda Brilliant Damage Control, or be Aveda Curly Detangling Conditioner to your regimen for extra slip.
6. ACCESSORIES- Your hair and your skin will love you for covering up. Wearing a nice summer hat or scarf is a great look that helps to avoid overexposure, and it looks adorably chic.
We've all been there, you're now going on your third day without shampooing your hair, and you look like a hot mess. Luckily, you more than likely have a bottle of Aveda dry-shampoo in your cabinet. Sometimes even the dry-shampoo isn't enough, your hair still looks flat and blahh...
So here we are! Aveda artist, Cambre, has shared her tips and how to give your sad tresses more ummph!
1. Top Knot
- Start by applying Aveda dry-shampoo to the roots. Next, brush it through so the hair doesn't look dull.
- Pull up the top half of the hair and smooth it with a paddle brush.
- Wrap the remainder of the hair that is hanging down into a bun. (For extra wows: you can also secure the top of the hair with an elastic and braid it!) Be sure the bun sitting on the crown. Extra tip: Tuck the end piece underneath the bun for a cleaner look.
- Secure with 3-6 bobby pins. Hairspray it with Aveda Control Force for extra security.
2. Braided Bun
- Again, dry-shampoo should be applied first and foremost! You can start this look with 1 or 2 braids.
- Braid your hair and secure the end with a small clear elastic.
- Starting from the bottom of the braid, pull each loop of the braid loose to give it extra volume.
- Wrap the braid to create a bun on the lower side of your head. Have fun and get creative! If you have 2 braids you can intertwine them to get more of an elegant style.
- Secure with 6-10 bobby pins. Hairspray with Aveda Control Force for additional support.
3. Dutch Buns
- Psst! Don't forget the dry-shampoo!
- Dutch braid 2 braids on each side of your head.
- Secure with clear elastics for a seamless look.
- Fluff your braids up a little by pulling each braid loop firmly 2-4 times.
- Wrap each braid into 2 separate buns.
- Secure each side with 5-8 bobby pins. Don't go light on the hairspray!
3 Easy Ways to Revive your Hairstyle! Now get your mirror and try it for yourself.
More importantly, rock your confidence!